Bacteria and viruses easily spread when a sick person sneezes, coughs, or talks close to you. You can get sick if you touch germ-infected surfaces and then touch your face. Hand washing for 20 seconds with hand wash liquid soap is still one of the most effective strategies to stay healthy, prevent the spread of bacteria and viruses and take care of your hand hygiene.
Why is it Necessary to Wash My Hands?
Washing your hands is one of the simplest and most effective ways to keep healthy and prevent the spread of bacteria and viruses like colds and flu, as well as COVID-19.
Any viruses on your hands can enter your body through mucous membranes in your eyes, nose, or mouth when you rub your eyes or touch your nose or mouth.
Consider how many objects you touch daily: doorknobs, elevator buttons, door handles, ATMs, touchscreens, and your cell phone (together with all the surfaces it has touched), to mention a few. Any viruses that persist on these surfaces may be transferred to your hands when you touch them.
How to Wash My Hands Properly?
A few basic procedures are needed to thoroughly clean your hands and avoid transmission of illness. Here are the steps for correctly washing your hands using a hand wash liquid:
- Using clean running water, wet your hands (warm or cold).
- Use liquid hand wash to clean your hands. Rub your hands together for 20 seconds. Remember to wash your wrists, backs of your hands, between your fingers, and beneath your fingernails.
- Under running water, thoroughly rinse your hands.
- With your elbow, turn off the water.
- Use a clean towel to dry your hands or let them air dry.
- If you use a towel to dry your hands, you can use the same towel to open the restroom door. Place the towel in a trash can.
Are There Any Risks to Washing My Hands Too Frequently?
Limit how frequently you wash your hands or use alcohol-based hand sanitizers if you have a lot of skin cracks on your hands or if they are dry or chapped (which can further dry out your skin).
Washing your hands too frequently or using these hand sanitizers depletes your hands of healthful oils and microorganisms that fight germs. Germs can also enter your body through damaged skin. Apply moisturizing hand cream or lotion on damp hands to address this condition. Instead of hand sanitizer, you can use a moisturizing hand wash to prevent your hands from getting dry and damaged.
Those who are allergic to chemical-based handwashes can instead go for a natural hand wash or an organic hand wash made from raw, organic and natural products. Few people don’t like a lot of fragrances, and some like fragrances. Those who love fragrance can try a lavender hand wash for a wonderful scent.
Red or raw skin, itchy or flaky skin, and soreness are all signs that you’re washing your hands too much. If you’re too concerned about washing your hands, go to your doctor.
When Do I Need to Wash My Hands?
- Was your hands whenever appear to be filthy.
- It would be best to wash your hands before, during, and after you’ve prepared food and before eating.
- Prior to and following interaction with a sick person.
- Treatment of a cut, sore, or wound before and after.
- After using the restroom or changing a baby’s diaper, wash your hands.
- After sneezing, coughing, or blowing your nose. (Wash your hands more frequently while you’re sick to avoid spreading your illness to others.)
- Wash your hands thoroughly after touching animals or animal waste.
- If you’re unsure if your hands are clean after touching waste or bodily fluids, wash your hands.
Make sure you always use a hand wash soap for washing your hands. Just using water is never enough.
The Most Effective Handwashes on the Market
It is vital to go for the best hand wash and choose from various branded hand washes available in the market. We have compiled a list of the best handwashes in the market according to Health and Glow:
1. Savlon Moisture Shield Germ Protection Liquid Handwash
A million germs are said to be protected by the Savlon Moisture Shield germ prevention liquid handwash. It has undergone dermatological testing and is appropriate for all skin types. It features moisture shield technology to keep your hands feeling soft. TCC and Triclosan are not present.
2. Godrej Protekt Germ Fighter Handwash
The Godrej Protekt Germ Fighter Handwash is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a multi-purpose hand wash. It protects hands from bacteria, cleans oil quickly, and eliminates odours. It contains antibacterial and moisturizing ingredients such as neem and aloe vera. The packaging is also recyclable and reused, which is a bonus.
3. Santoor Classic Gentle Hand Wash
Tulsi protects you from viruses, and sandalwood softens and smoothes your hands with the Santoor Classic Gentle hand wash. It also comes in three scents: gentle, fresh, and crème.
4. Lifebuoy Total 10 Liquid Mild Care Handwash
The Lifebuoy Total 10 Liquid Mild Care hand wash eliminates germs in just ten seconds and offers ultrafast germ protection. It has an effective silver composition that aids in rapidly removing germs. It contains milk cream, a moisturizing handwash that keeps your hands soft.
Hand washing is simple, cheap, and takes only 20 seconds of your time. It’s the most beneficial 20 seconds you can invest in your health – and the health of those around you. Remember always to use hand wash products for better results.